Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rollercoasters and allergies

Nearing the end of my walk on Monday, I decided to do a little run - jog - whatever!!  I moved faster!  Seeing all the runners on the dirt side of the path, instead of on the pavement - I decided... well of course I'm gonna do what they're doing!  They look like they know the ropes - I should follow suit.
 
I finished up the three miles and thought I must have inhaled most of the dust I kicked up because it felt like fiberglass had shredded the inside of my nasal passage and throat.  For the rest of the night, I sufferrrrrrrrrred!  Horribly allergic to dust, I wheezed and sneezed and sniffed.  My poor face felt like a balloon.  Serves me right for following the crowd.  Just cuz everyone else is doing it does not mean I should.  A lesson I thought I had learned in fourth grade after sliding down the bannister with a skirt on.  hmph.
 
Up, down, the rollercoaster of life goes on!  My good friends, Benadryl and Nyquil, kissed me on the head and rocked me to sleep - ha!
 
I thought I was finished with rollercoasters, but just ended up just moving on into another line for a bigger, badder version.  You know - family stuff, hurts, tears, lots of actively "choosing joy" (thanks for that phrase Linda - I use it all the time!) But God is good.  Jami was signed up for mile 90 on Tuesday, and her mom Lori also joined us, and wow - what a ride that was :)  God had some good stuff for me.  What if I had taken the day off cuz I was just so tired?  What if I didn't feel like choosing joy?What if I felt like choosing lazy?  If you get the chance, talk to Jami's mom, Lori, about Heart for Africa - story after story that will just lift your heart to God's goodness!!!  Lori needed to leave us halfway to run back home to take a friend to the airport, so Jami and I got to talk.  I love that woman.  She is third trimester pregnant and wanting to walk with me!!  And can I tell you - I thought "wooo hoooo! what an easy walk this will be!  She's prego!  Come onnnnnn!"  Ashamed to say, I did a little huffing and puffing.  Darn it! 
 
We only got two miles in, cuz Paul didn't want the baby coming just yet... (whatever Paul!!!  Your wife could outwalk me anyday! hahahaha) so I finished up on my treadmill at home.  But those two miles were precious and uplifting and sunny and beautiful.  I am loving this project more and more by the day. 
 
On the walk, Sydney had started getting tired, and later when I asked if she was feeling alright on the walk - she said - "well, my feet were getting tired, but then when I got to push Jed," (Jami's son - in the stroller) "well - he just lit me up!!!"
 
She just lights me up! 
 
Last story - quick one.  As far as rollercoasters - God really does have purpose in the ups and downs.  I went to a women's tea Tuesday night.  Julie is a master decorater and no one is EVER allowed to come into my home right after leaving hers - hahahahaha.  She put such special touches in every detail - it was straight from a magazine.  Amazing.  It was so special, and the time with the ladies was even more so - but that isn't really what I wanted to share.  I was so tired - mentally - from the rollercoaster ride.  Just sad - heartbroken - low.  I did not want to go to the tea, but I had committed - and so I went trusting that God had me going for a purpose.  There was.  Many.  But too much to mention - and well, ya just had to be there!  haha (so come next time!)  But here is one thing I WILL tell you.  Carla mentioned something really sweet.  We were talking about adversity, and she mentioned something interesting about grapevines.  Apparently, if you baby a grapevine - it doesn't produce good grapes.  When it struggles, and has to send its roots down deep and wide, that's when it produces the best fruit.
 
hmmmm  I just let that one soak right in. 
 
Let me dig deeper in You, Lord.  Help me produce good fruit.
 
And as to the rollercoaster, my hands are lifted high and all i have is one word for you.
 
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
 
That's my big boy, and my two littles - and of course the dreaded FIBERGLASS DIRT PATH to the left.  see it there?  see how harmless it seems????  Be fore-warned. It's pure evil. 

What a beautiful walk.  San Diego must have the most secret nooks and crannies all over the county.  I have never been here before, but I hope to be back.  Gorgeous walk with gorgeous friends and family :)
 

2 comments: