Monday, December 27, 2010

WHY I'M DOING WHAT I'M DOING!

DAY 1 

3 miles down, 997 more to go!

We decided to send gifts through Gospel for Asia this year for Christmas -  Bibles, tracts, blankets, bunnies and chickens.  We saw the Jesus Well - but it was $1000.  Yep - I didn't really think much more about it.  A few days before Christmas, the kids and I sat down to watch the little promo video for the gift catalog, and when I saw the water gushing from the Jesus Well - I thought immediately, "Too cool!!! We've gotta get it!  I dont' know how, but we just have to!"

We started brainstorming about little things we could make and sell, ultimately saving up for the well, but I just didn't think that was reeeeeally gonna happen.

The next morning, I woke up and thought - people get sponsors all the time for walks - why don't I take the whole year to walk 1000 miles - and people could sponsor me in smaller amounts throughout the year!

I thought about how most people in underdeveloped countries need to walk miles to get their water, so it seemed like a cool thing to do - to walk with them each day.  I started walking the day after Christmas, but the official time will be January 1,2011 - December 1,2011 (I figured I should end early so I could purchase the well in time for a Christmas gift).  That breaks 1000 miles down to almost 21 miles each week. (or approx. 90 miles each month)

I only need 12 people to sponsor me a dime a mile throughout the year to earn the entire amount for the well!  That's all!  That means just $6 each paycheck.  I couldn't believe it was such a small amount! My hubby is sponsoring me - and my mom & dad - and my kids even said they would give a dollar out of each allowance! (i love their sweet, generous hearts!!) 

So - here I go.  3 miles down. 997 more to go.  I'm really excited about doing this!  I'm praying for joy the whole way :)

3 down :)


No comments:

Post a Comment