Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Right Stuff

so is it a bad sign when you log into your blogger account and it says "Leah who?"

hehehe  just kiddin.  Blogger forgives me for my lack of social network time.  I'm sure you do too....   :)

Before the summer started, I remember asking our home school teacher for a bunch of books to keep us "busy" through the summer.  To which Miss Maria replied - Leah - its the summer - enjoy it!

oh no... we need to keep movin!  we need to read and study! maybe just a little... but at least something!

well i'm here to tell you - its 2 months later and not one school book has been cracked open.  and we are loving it!  Aren't you so glad that God CREATED rest!!!!  I know I am.  Sometimes we get into the mode of work work work.  sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not so much...  Work is a good thing - its ordained by God!  But so is rest :)

I'm not saying that my bloggies are work!  well - sometimes they can be.  but i do enjoy them!  Its just that lately - I've been on my walk/jogs - and I'll have something hit me on mile 0.56, and I'll be like - oh wow - that will be a great blog for today!  then mile 1.4 comes along and i'm like - hmmmm never thought about that one, Lord - that will be a better blog!    Mile 2.3 brings another set of lessons, and I'm thinking wow - as soon as I get back - boy - this will be one great blog!!!!

and then mile 3 is over, and i'm tired, and i get home, kick off my shoes and think - hmmm what did i want to say again???  how did it flow so smoothly in the moment, and then get lost in the space of 3 miles??

that's ok.

so... today's title.  "The Right Stuff".  for those of you around my age and older... remember that movie?  the astronauts?

Yeah... I just read a GREAT book about going to the moon.  (hehehe inside joke to some of you.)  and now i'm uh... *ahem* "onto" the sequel....  so I guess I have the moon on my mind.

But today - the "right stuff" isn't referring to traits that would make you a good astronaut.  I was on my walk with my 1 year old boyfriend, David, this morning - and trying out his brand new jogging stroller.  (i did try to jog but when i would pick up speed, the front tire would start to jiggle... anyone know why?
i was almost convinced that i was just jogging SO fast - that the stroller was pushed to its limit...
mm hmm.  i said ALMOST.)

anyway - jogging didn't work so well - but walking?  oh my goodness.  the ride was so smooth.  if you're not familiar with strollers - the regular ones come with 4 wheels and are pretty  much intended to just carry the baby, carry baby belongings, and just basically buggy everything around somewhat easily.  they can be cumbersome, and walking up the mountain... you can just feel how heavy everything is!!!

but jogging strollers are so streamlined.  they have 3 wheels - they turn much smoother and faster - and the wheels are more substantial. - almost like mountain bike wheels.

i felt like i could just keep on walking!  i could barely feel the extra weight!

(oh - plus - it has speakers.  for real.  so cool!  it has this little container in the front that you plug your iphone into and yes - it has 2 little speakers that amplify your music while you walk.)

now THAT'S the right stuff!

ever try to get through life with the wrong stuff?

i have.  name anything other than Christ - it just wasn't meant to fulfill us.  it just simply wasn't meant to be the stuff that we depend on, we rely on, or we need.  we're not designed for that junk.

The days when I find I'm relying on anything but Him are the days that I find I'm "pushing that heavy stroller up the mountain".

Today was such a sweet moment of clarity.  gliding up and down hills, feeling the distinction, amazed at what a difference having the "right stuff" makes.

I know my analogy kinda breaks down at some point... like all analogies do.

if it were a real example of what Christ does for us - I'd be David.. sitting back in the stroller with Christ pushing me up the mountain.

It's so good.  He's so good.  I wish everyone in the world could experience it.  I pray you do.

love you :)


No comments:

Post a Comment